Progress Report for Legend of the Spider-Prince: Rebel
May 12, 2013
- A lot has happened since my last entry.
- I realized delegating my web site construction was a disaster. I’m much too hands-on, especially when I wasn’t happy with what passed for a “custom” web design–the same generic tools available at DIY price were being used for my “custom” site. The marketing I was supposed to be getting was totally inappropriate for an author, and the SEO part was non-existent. Being an author is not the same as being a small business. Square peg/round hole. Canned the web crew and went for DIY web hosting, so I could build it exactly the way I want it. There’s a lot I don’t know about web site construction, but I got something respectable up in 12 hours yesterday, AND it is SEO. Now I can move on to the other “hats” I’m wearing.
- Ongoing education on the business of independent epublishing and marketing, and available author-support programs with online retailers and distributors. Online tutorials at Writer’s Digest have been helpful.
- I downloaded Calibre to do my first test conversion of Chapter 1 from PDF to EPUB (preparing for when I start posting free chapters in July). It didn’t go well–ended up with scrambled text. Trying it with TXT didn’t work at all. Obviously, more homework to be done here. Calibre has a lot of happy users, so I’m hoping this is just operator-error on my part.
- Established a GoodReads account and connected with friends and interesting groups.
- Decided to keep two blogs, one for readers that reviews indie fantasy books, and this one for indie writers.
- Looked for indie epic fantasy books to review. I may keep a scorecard–number of descriptions read, excerpts downloaded, reviews produced. Initial score=100 descriptions, 20 downloads, 1 possible buy to finish/review. (Description of Bk 2 was a spoiler–do I want to read on if the 1st person POV character is dead and the story resumes with someone else? Bk 1 left me wanting more, Bk 2 suggests I’m not going to get it!)
- An ongoing collection of resources for various aspects of indie publishing. Once I get a chance to go through the sites, I’ll post the ones that were the most helpful for me in my blogroll.
April 29, 2013
- 1st indie writer book review posted on blog, social media
- Ongoing exploration of the indie scene, trying to focus on epic fantasy authors–lots to learn
April 27, 2013
- Updated blog site
- Updated social media
- Brainstormed ideas on adding value to indie scene
April 21, 2013
- Begin work on web site–used a “custom” web site builder to delegate the more technical aspects while I supply the content.
April 20, 2013
- First exchange of emails with cover artist
April 18, 2013–EPIPHANY
- Decision to independently publish series
- Started search for cover artist, start learning the gritty details of independent publishing
April 14, 2013
- 7 more queries sent
April 1, 2013
- 4 more queries sent
March 24, 2013
- Sent out 2 exclusive queries (NOT simultaneously!)=1 rejection (after 2x the stated response time and a followup email!) and 1 [silence]
- Sent out 4 queries=2 rejections and 2 still awaiting response (still within stated response time)
- Researching more agents
- Working on Book 2 Rogue Prince